National News

Weekly State News

In Tombura state:

Chief Ngolingbara describe Nagero County as ghost town

Compiled by Moses Gum Degur

Local authorities in Nagero in Tombura State described the town as a ghost area since there is no civilian staying there a month after the fight.

The Paramount Chief of Nagero, Natale Ngolingbara, said the town remains empty as civilians deserted because of heavy fighting between armed opposition and government forces last month.

He accuses the government forces of shooting indiscriminately killing five civilians on the spot.

Ngolingbara said he regretted to see how civilians and vulnerable people have endured the tragedy and miserable life that resulted in loss of lives in Nagero County.

He appeals to the government, church and humanitarian agencies to provide some basic needs like medicines, shelter and food to the IDPs.

The displaced are currently camping in one of the secondary schools in Tombura County.

In Yei River state:

UN condemns killing of peacekeeper

A United Nations Mission in South Sudan [UNMISS] peace keeper was killed on Tuesday during an armed attack on a convoy on Yei-Lasu road.

Lieutenant Commander Ashraf  Siddiqui, Military Liaison Officer, was in a convoy that was supporting the delivery of relief to vulnerable civilians in Central Equatoria.

Commander Ashraf Siddiqui was a Bangladesh peacekeeper working with UNMISS in South Sudan.

The convoy led by Nepalese peacekeepers was providing protection to aid workers travelling from Yei to Lasu when unknown gunmen fired several bullets at the group.

The UNMISS head in South Sudan; David Shearer condemned the incident in the strongest term possible terming it a big tragedy to the UN and the family of the bereaved.

Mr. Shearer in a statement said Lieutenant Commander Ashraf Siddiqui was hit and died from his wounds shortly.

He added that the Nepalese peacekeepers immediately returned fire and the attackers retreated into the forest.

The UNMISS head expresses his deep regret at the tragic loss of life.

“I would like to express my sincere sympathy to the family, friends and colleagues of our fellow peacekeeper, Lieutenant Commander Ashraf Siddiqui, who was killed today,” said Shearer.

“It is a tragedy that he lost his life in such an appalling act of violence while working to help those in need and to protect the lives of others”, he lamented.

He called on armed men to allow peacekeepers and aid workers to carry out their work freely and safely.

In Uganda:

Refugees appeal to President Kiir and Machar to sign peace

South Sudanese refugees in Uganda call on President Salva Kiir and Dr Riek Machar to sign a genuine peace agreement.

One of the refugees, Christine Danga, said life is getting hard each day in the camps and the ratio of food cannot sustain families.

Due to lack of food at times IDPs take only one meal a day to ensure that some food is left for the next day, she points.

She urges South Sudanese leaders talking in Khartoum, Sudan to come out with a peaceful solution to the conflict in the country.

Maneno Charity still feels pain of losing her step father during the conflict in July 2016 between the government and SPLM-IO forces.

She does not want to return to South Sudan unless the country attains peace and everything goes o normal.

On Monday President Salva Kiir and Dr Riek Machar expressed hope for a breakthrough as they start peace talks in Khartoum.

The two leaders met in Khartoum after their meeting last week in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia ended without an agreement.

In Tonj State:

Students advised to keep their school clean

The headmaster of St Mary Academy Secondary in Tonj State is advising students to promote hygiene and sanitation in the school.

Akok Majok says keeping the school environment clean shows smartness to the public living around the area.

He explains that learning is the combination of everything not only lessons.

William Deng Flaccido, hygiene prefect in the school, encourages fellow learners to be clean to keep away diseases.

He appeals to all students in Tonj State to maintain hygiene in their various institutions.

In Wau state:

SPLA denies renewed clashes with opposition forces

The Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) has denied renewed clashes in Wau State with opposition forces as the two principle leaders met in Khartoum on Monday.

Brigadier General Lul Ruai Koang, the SPLA Spokesperson said the government is observing the ceasefire amidst the peace process and that there were no clashes as claimed by rebels allied to Dr. Riek Machar.

On Monday the SPLA-IO Deputy Military Spokesperson Col. Lam Paul Gabriel in a press release posted on his Facebook page claimed that the government troops attacked their SPLA-IO position in Omboro in Wau.

“At about 6:00AM as face-to-face resume in Khartoum, the regime sent  heavy force of SPLA IG combined with JEM militias on one Woral truck and seven Land cruisers; escorted by four APCs to attack the SPLA-IO defensive position in Omboro in Wau,” Col. Lam said.

“Our forces destroyed one (1) APC and three (3) Land cruisers. The fight is still ongoing as I write,” he said.

However Brig. Lul denied all the claims that the SPLA attacked positions of opposition forces in former Western Bahr el Ghazal state over the weekend.

“There are no renewed clashes with rebels. The SPLA have not attacked rebel position nor did my office receive any information of clashes in the country,” Brig Lul told the Juba Monitor yesterday in a phone interview.

Lul said the rebels were trying to solicit for “cheap propaganda” as peace talks continue to draw the attention of the people.

“Whenever there are peace talks going on, rebel normally make allegations here and there, simply to draw the attention of the internationally community. It is not a new thing but what they usually do,” Lul added.

Gen Lul said the government is observing the cease fire agreement and that there was no way the government could attack rebels.

“We only fight back in self-defense if our position is attacked,” he added.

The SPLA-IO deputy military spokesperson also claimed that on Saturday government forces attacked the SPLA IO Positions in Bagari, Engo Halima and Baslia in Wau State resulting to the displacement of civilians in the areas.

“The SPLA-IO forces of Division 6 withdrew tactically to avoid civilian casualties but yesterday the 24th/06/2018 at around 10:35 AM, the SPLA-IO Division 6 forces regrouped and launched an aggressive attack to take back their bases killing 76 enemy soldiers and wounding scores,” he claimed.

“The SPLA IO lost 18 freedom fighters. Items captured in good working conditions include. 56 Ak-47, 7 PKM, 6 RBG, 4 Land cruisers mounted wit 12.7 4, and 1 Wulit (APC),” he added.

The SPLA spokesperson denied all the claims, saying there were no clashes in Wau with opposition forces and that all the reports were” mere propaganda.”

President Salva Kiir met rebel leader Dr Riek Machar in a face-to face meeting on Monday in an effort to reach an agreement on the outstanding issues in the High Level Revitalization Forum.

Kiir said he attended the Khartoum meeting with open mind for peace and that he expected the same from Dr. Riek Machar to bring peace and end to the suffering of South Sudanese.

In Jonglei State:

Authorities appeal for more investors

Authorities in Jonglei State have called on investors to extend their businesses to Jonglei saying the government was ready to provide conducive environment for them.

The Chairperson of Jonglei State Investment Commission, Achiek John Tiopich said there was much need for business enterprises in Jonglei State in order to reduce consumers’ complaints over shortages of goods.

“The establishment of more firms would help meet the consumers’ expectations since there was high demand due to the scarcity of services,” Mr. Tiopich said.

He said there was enough space for business investors in Bor especially for those who have not yet secured the place in the capital Juba.

”We are calling on the investment companies who are not having enough space for investment to come to Bor,” Mr Tiopich said.

He said that the state government in collaboration with its security agencies was ready to promote more prevailing security situation and safe stay in Bor.

”We are highly recommending investors particularly in Agriculture, fisheries, hotels, commercial banks, pharmacies, private schools. We are appealing to you to come and help our people who are in dire need of services,” Mr Tiopich said.

The investment commission said state cannot progress without business community and called for more investors into the area.

In Rumbek:

Police officer warns public against rising adultery in Rumbek

The Chief Inspector of Police in Rumbek Central County reports an increasing adultery rate in the area.

Lieutenant Barnaba Bol Duony says his office is occupied with extramarital cases.

He cautions couples to be faithful to one another and that men and women should avoid practicing adultery because it is a crime.

The Chief Inspector warns business men to stop engaging married women because it is against the law.

If a person is caught red handed in the action, he or she would be punished according to the law, he adds.

Lieutenant Bol advises traders to concentrate on selling their goods, instead of messing with other people’s wives.

The Chief Inspector of Police made the remarks during an interview with Good News Radio on Monday.

 

 

 

error: Content is protected !!