Terrain Case: More witnesses testified
More witnesses testified to the General Court Martial in a closed session hearing yesterday.
Three of the six witnesses who testified yesterday are from the Veteran Security Service (VSS) who were guarding Terrain Hotel during the time of the incident on 11th July, 2016.
Out of the three witnesses who testified, one is a Ugandan national and the other two are South Sudanese.
Addressing the press after the closed session hearing, the acting army Spokesperson Col. Santo Domic Chol said those three who testified gave their testimonies against the accused in relation to looting but not raping and killing. “Nobody really talked about rape or killing yet,” Chol said.
Santo however declined to disclose the details of what the three witnesses have exactly told the court, saying “it is for the purpose of the safety of the case itself, as well as the protection of the court and the personalities involved.”
He added that the court made some progress with the United States government in availing the witnesses who are abroad.
He said a letter has been written and communications are going on with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to take charge in completing the rest of the process for bringing the victims to appear in court.
The court was adjourned to Friday to allow the remaining three witnesses to testify. According to the army spokesperson, the next hearing will also be in a close session
Yesterday’s session was the eight hearing of the terrain case involving some security forces accused of rape, murder and looting of terrain Hotel when fighting broke out in July 2016.
12 soldiers are currently appearing before the court on mainly charges of rape, murder and looting during the July 11 fighting Hotel last year when misunderstanding erupted between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and those loyal to the then First Vice President, Dr. Riek Machar.
By Morris Dogga