News

One killed and two others injured in Jonglei

By Wek Atak Kacjang

A 12 year old girl has been confirmed dead and two others sustained injuries in Jonglei when unknown gunman opened fire at a residential area on Tuesday.

The State Secretary General of the defunct Jonglei State, Mabior Atem Mabior confirmed the incident to Juba Monitor yesterday.

He said there was no arrest made yet but the state authorities were looking for the gunman.

 “There is no arrest that has been made but the police are still looking to find out where the gunman comes from,” Atem told Juba Monitor on a phone interview.

“It is the first incident since the beginning of 2020 for an identified man to fire gun in the public. Let’s respect the dignity of citizen’s life instead of killing innocent people,” Mabior said.

He revealed that the issue of armed violence among communities and gang attacks by youths in different areas across the State was a threat to people’s life and this must be handled by security sector.

Violence caused by unknown suspects is very common. In 2018, unknown suspect opened fire on a video hall in Gurei, Juba killing more than 10 soccer fans.

In the same year 2018 at Mangateen suburb, more than 10 revelers were injured in what the victims described as a grenade explosion.

Last year 2019, the police in Torit, the defunct State of Imotong, reported that the vehicle that was transporting football team was attacked on Torit-Juba Road by unknown suspect left one person dead and six others wounded.  

error: Content is protected !!