Ministry demands three weeks total lockdown
By Bullen Bala Alexander
The Ministry of Health has requested President Salva Kiir Mayardit for a three week total lockdown in order to curb the spread of the COVID-19 in the country.
The request was made on Saturday after the team from the Ministry of Health headed by the Minister Elizabeth Acuei Yol briefed President on the situation of COVID-19 in the country.
Speaking to the press after the meeting with the President, Acuei Yol said they briefed President Kiir on the situation of COVID-19 and the measures the Ministry would like to put in place to reduce the spread of the virus in the country.
“We briefed him and requested the President to at least have another two (2) to three (3) weeks lockdown to allow us screen and test people in Juba,” said Minister Acuei
According to the Minister, the increased number of COVID-19 in the country was due to the relaxation of the lockdown saying when government eased the exercise many people felt like the disease was over or there was no Coronavirus in the country.
“Despite high increase in the number of cases, many people are saying that there is no Coronavirus in the country or that the disease had been with us here since and cannot kill or that the government was playing game because the want money which is not true,”she said .
She called on public to adhere to the directive of the Ministry of Health and World Health Organization (WHO) adding that social distancing, frequent hand washing and use of facemasks in crowded places be prioritized.
South Sudan cases stand at 994 as of last week with only six recoveries and ten deaths.