National News

Late Bishop Munde had called for unity in his last days

The Late Archbishop Peter Munde Yacoub (file photo):

By Viola Matela

The Provincial Archbishop of the Episcopal Church of South Sudan in Western Equatoria region, Peter Munde Yacoub was laid to rest yesterday in his birth town of Yambio.

During his requiem service at All Saints’ Cathedral in Juba on Saturday, a son to the late bishop revealed that while on his deathbed, the deceased had urged leaders to unite to move the country forward.

Bishop Munde passed away in a hospital in Nairobi, Kenya on 27th October while on treatment from a long term illness. His body was brought to Juba on Friday last week and flown to Yambio on Saturday for burial on Sunday.

“The last words of the Bishop were mostly about peace to anyone who used to visit him,” Steven Ngbadurezere, a son of the late Bishop Munde revealed. “He often said why don’t the leaders of South Sudan come together, love each other and do things as one people to bring peace to this country.”

According to the late bishop’s son, Bishop Munde believed that the suffering he was going through was because his country had no peace and if there was peace, he would have been getting treatment there, not far away in a foreign land.

Ngbadurezere said he often quoted 1Peter 3:8 which says; Last of all, see that you are all in agreement; feeling for one another, loving one another like brothers, full of pity, without pride:

He used to say; “People should be united, leave behind what happened in the past and open a fresh page for peace to come into our country so that we may live peacefully. He always emphasized peace and love amongst all people,” Ngbadurezere said.

He further revealed that the late had suffered from rectal feculence for which he had a successful operation. Hemorrhage after the operation was also managed before he got infected.

“After the infections, he had lots of pain for about two months. He was taken to Case Hospital in Kampala where doctors declared that he had blood cancer. This was followed by lung and heart infections. From there, we transferred to Nairobi where the doctors tried their best but he could not make it,” he narrated.

Ngbadurezere however said that the Bishop’s passing on was probably God’s calling since everything humanly possible had been done.

“What we know is that this was the call of God. Many Christians and people who knew him tried their best to see to it that he was healed but God called him instead,” he said.

The late was installed as the first Archbishop of Western Equatoria Internal Province in December 2016. He died at the age of 67. According to his son, the doctor’s last words were that he died of severe infection and blood cancer.


error: Content is protected !!