Health Ministry raises alarm over rising COVID-19 cases
By Chany Ninrew
The Ministry of Health has raised concerns about an increasing number of coronavirus infections in the country and warned the citizens of a catastrophic consequences should they fail to adhere to preventive measures.
In the weekly press briefing conducted by health experts at John Garang Center for Disease Control on Sunday, the official spokesperson at the Ministry of Health, Dr. Thou Loi has emphasized that the daily data shows that the pandemic continues to accelerate in the country.
“We are seeing an increasing number of positive cases of Covid-19 and this is a clear message that the disease is still here and with that, we need to be serious in terms of adherence to preventive measures which are basically social distancing, mask wearing and hands hygiene,” advised Dr. Loi.
So far, there are 16 new confirmed cases from the 419 samples tested in the last 24 hours, according to Dr. John Rumunu the Director General of Preventive Health Service at the Ministry of Health.
“The positivity percentage is now 4% and that is very significant and as my colleague Dr. Loi said, there is an upward trend of Covid-19 cases in the country,” added Rumunu.
The sample tests results were from the Public Health Laboratory and the recently authorized private testing clinics like Med-Blue Medical Center, Queens Medical Complex and Nojum Medical Center.
Meanwhile, the cumulative number of confirmed cases are now 3743 in which about 3579 of the total confirmed cases have recovered.
“With this data, we want to inform our public that Covid-19 is still here and the Ministry of Health advises that our public observe all the preventive measures which are put in place, if you have symptoms of Covid-19 or anyone around you please call the toll free 6666 for our rapid response team to attend to you,” he said.