News

FLOOD-gov’t in control of crisis

By Gilo Jr. Okwata

The government has reassured the citizens it’s working relentlessly to respond to humanitarian crisis caused by a combination of insecurity and flooding that rocked different parts of the country.

Speaking to Juba Monitor, Gatwech Peter Kulang, the Undersecretary Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management reiterated the government’s commitment and urges other agencies to do everything within their power to tackle the crises.

 “On Wednesday, we had a humanitarian coordination forum discussing all these issues with other line ministries, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Water and our partners to deliberate on how we can divide the little resources we have to the affected people,” Kulang said.

He also stated that they had already started distributing the little assistance at their disposal to the affected individuals in Greater Jonglei and other places.

“Distributions of nonfood items are already on going in Bor, so the work is ongoing.”

We have also identified four locations in Juba here including Mangateen and some IDPs Camps,” he added.

The ministry also gave a report detailing the staggering statistics of number of people affected by the man-made disaster within the last one month.

However, here are the cumulative number of people affected by floods and insecurity in some parts of the country. 

 Summary: Jonglei Violence and Flood

Attacks by Dinka, Lou & Gawaar Nuer in Likunagole, Manyabol, GPAA: 20,000 IDPs (Feb 2020)

 Attacks by Murle in Uror and Nyirol Counties (several places): 30,000 IDPs (16 May 2020)

Attacks by Dinka & Gawaar & Lou Nuer on Gumuruk, Verthet, GPAA:73,000 IDPs (Jun 2020)

Attacks by Murle on Bor South, Twic East and Duk:  45,000 IDPs (Jun 2020) 

Estimated total:   150,000 IDPs

– Reached for assessment and emergency response – 70,000 IDPs

– Not reached due to continued insecurity (GPAA and Duk – 80,000 IDPs)

. Humanitarian consequences

• Loss of life (6 aid workers killed)

• Facilities destroyed and assets looted.

 • Reduced mobility and response capacity because of ongoing insecurity 

However, Kulang outlined the challenges they were facing to reach those who needed immediate assistance, citing insecurity and difficult accessibility of some areas due to poor roads as the major factors hindering transportation of the required items but emphasized that they were discussing with humanitarian agencies to assist with helicopters.

“As I talk to you at the moment, you know some of the roads may not be working. There’s also insecurity in some areas but we are talking with other partners for additional resources like helicopters to reach those who are not accessible by land,” Kulang said.

In addition Dr. Banak Joshua Dei, the Director General for Disaster Management in the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management said 7000 out of 150000 people in Jonglei and Greater Pibor Administrative Area required urgent support.

“The total number of people who are displaced in greater Jonglei either by conflict or flooding or a combination of both are more than 150000 according to report we have right now. Our partners managed to support 8000 of that number of people, based on vulnerability assessment they used to select few for assistance which include women and children,” Joshua added.

He stated that 7000 people who did not receive support were considered not to have been badly affected and admitted that they could not help everybody with the little they had.  

Since the beginning of the year, the country had been grappling with waves of inter-communal conflicts among communities and flooding which destroyed thousands of homes and displaced many people.

error: Content is protected !!