CEASEFIRE DECLARED: All forces to remain in their commands
President Salva Kiir has declared a unilateral ceasefire in the country as a gesture for smooth implementation of the National Dialogue.
Earlier on 18th May, 2017 during the 34th anniversary of the SPLA, President Kiir clearly stated that he would declare a unilateral ceasefire if it can be respected by all the key parties to the conflict.
In a Republican Order No. 13/2017 aired on South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation (SSBC) on Wednesday, President Kiir declared a unilateral ceasefire that is set to come in effect on the 24th May, 2017 upon signature by the President.
He further ordered the national army, SPLA to remain vigilant in their positions and to fight only in self-defense.
Col. Santo Domic Chol, SPLA Acting Spokesperson said that immediately after the President declared the ceasefire, the Chief of General Staff, Gen. James Ajongo Mawut issued a standing order to the armed forces to stand down and not wage offences against the opposition or bandits unless their positions are attacked, then they are permitted to defend themselves.
“It is clearly forbidden for the SPLA to go on the offensive. The President and the Army Chief Orders are clear, the army is only allowed to defend their positions when attacked and not to go on offensive,” said Col. Santo.
By Sasuk Taban