CAF VS FIFA: ban or not for S. Sudan to host international games
By David Mono Danga
South Sudan Football Association (SSFA) has refuted claims by a section of the press of being banned from hosting international matches at Juba Stadium by the Confederation of African Football (CAF).
SSFA spokesman Alul Daniel said the world’s football governing body FIFA had excused South Sudan from hosting the matches by giving the new nation a period of three years to complete the upgrading of the stadium.
“CAF is trying to ban us from hosting international games at Juba Stadium but FIFA has intervened in this issue. They have given us up-to 2021 to renovate the stadium to meet the international standards,” Alul said.
In an exclusive interview with The Juba Monitor, Alul pointed out that there was no written letter to SSFA regarding the issue. He pointed out that SSFA President Francis Amin being a member of CAF Organizing Committee got a direct call regarding the ban.
“There is no course for alarm. I can assure the public that the U-20 national team shall host Uganda this weekend at Juba Stadium,” the spokesman added.
Last week FIFA sent an investigation team to audit and assess the only football stadium in the country. SSFA had said they presented FIFA with every document they had requested to facilitate their smooth workflow, except for the documents of the stadium, alleging that the association did not have the documents since the stadium was owned by the government of Jubek State.
Alul said SSFA was in talks with the state to secure the documents of the Stadium.
“President Amin is in a meeting with Jubek state Minister of Sports to process the documents to be presented to FIFA. As soon as the papers are out, we shall start renovating Juba stadium immediately,” he promised.
On Sunday in an interview with Eye Radio, Alul said that the order from CAF claimed that the stadium had low standards to host international matches. Alul cited that the board was notified of the decision over the weekend.