National NewsNews

BOR SCHOOL SHUTDOWN AFTER STRIKE

By Manyuon Mayen Manyuon

 

Royal Secondary and Primary School in Bor has been shut down after a deadly strike a week ago.

Last Wednesday, students staged a protest when the school administration halted feeding after the students claimed they had paid for the services.

The school principal, Kur Madul Jongkuch called for police to quell the striking students, but it turned violent.

Eye witnesses said police shot at the students and students pelted stones at the police. Two students were wounded and four police officers injured.

The Jonglei Ministry of Education, Gender and Social Welfare ordered the shutdown in a ministerial order early this week.

Mr. Ayom Mach Jok, Jonglei State Education minister closed the school until further notice.

“Acting on the crisis which erupted last week in the aforementioned school, I have issued the ministerial order for closing down the school for time being,” the statement partially reads.

“The school management committee, Managing Director, teachers, pupils, students and Bor town community are hereby directed to ensure that this ministerial order is implemented and observed accordingly,” the statement added.

Jok revealed that any attempt to proscribe the order would be met by legal measures without failure respectively.

He expressed disappointment over destroyed assets as a result of the strike.

Jonglei local authorities affirmed that the learning institution was dismantled during the strike.

The school fence was broken down, some offices equipment and text books were burnt.

Jonglei state information minister Atong Kuol Manyang said that the state government has launched investigations into the matter.

The information minister stated that the state government would determine all versions from different stakeholders involved.

error: Content is protected !!