Cover Story

A MILLION SSP for the U-23 team


First Vice President (C) signing a football at his office as SSFA President Francis Amin (R) looks on (Photo by Gabriel Daniel)

The South Sudan U-23 team poses for a group photo after receiving their cash money at Royal Hotel on Wednesday 21/Nov/2018 (Photo by Gabriel Daniel-SSFA Media)

By David Mono Danga

The First Vice President Taban Deng Gai has given the national team a million South Sudanese pounds as a reward for beating the Uganda Kobs on Tuesday in the second leg of the African Cup of Nations 2019 U- 23 qualifiers.

Gai congratulated the junior Bright Stars for qualifying to the next round of the qualifications against Tunisia.

“Thank you for making the whole nation proud,” Taban Deng Gai said to the players.

He also pledges the government’s continues support to the team saying football unites the citizens of the country.

“Nothing unites the people of South Sudan like football, therefore we will continue to support the South Sudan Football Association and the activities of the national team because football is peace,” he added.

Meanwhile SSFA President Francis Amin revealed that with the government support the U-23 team shall be able to play two or more friendly matches in preparation for the next qualifying round against Tunisia in March next year.

He said the team is most likely to play against Egypt, Morocco and Eritrea if all goes well.

The Head Coach of the team Simon James said he was very proud of the young lads for uplifting the morals of the citizens who have been waiting patiently for the national team to win their first match in eight encounters.

“The senior team has lost seven matches in a row and the fans were becoming so discouraged but I am very happy that the U-23 has put smiles in the faces of the citizens again,” James told Juba Monitor yesterday at Royal Hotel.

“The players themselves and the administration are all happy for the dramatic Olympic qualifying 2-0 win over strong Ugandan sides. They have been beating us throughout,” he acknowledged.

Makueth Nguet became the hero of the day for South Sudan when he scored to take the team through to a second-round tie with four-time Olympic qualifiers Tunisia next March.

Peter Taku had cancelled the one-goal lead Uganda took into the return match when he scored after just seven minutes at the Juba national stadium.


error: Content is protected !!